Acoustic Hour Radio and Web show

The live Radio show has been on the air for over 4 years. In that short time, we have interviewed and featured artists and musicians from around the country. Some of the most creative, talented and dynamic guests have come though our doors at the Renda Broadcast Station in Indiana PA. Tune in Sunday Mornings 9-10AM on AM110WCCS.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

College of Fine Arts IUP

I enjoyed the chance to interview Michael Hood, Dean of the College of Fine Arts at IUP. on the Acoustic Hour Radio Show 9-17-06. I had been invited to attend his play, Othello, which I saw earlier in the summer in Pittsburgh.

I believe the most non-theatre going people have no idea how much time, effort and talents goes into producing and or directing shows. Theres' sponorship, planning, set design, crew, locations, utilities, actors, a script, practice, et al.... ! Just thinking of all of that can make one dizzy. But we don't have to think about that. All we have to do is support the arts!! Either through sponsorship, word of mouth, and most importantly... Go and see the show!

I'm not much of a theatre go-er, but I can tell you that I had a wonderful time watching(experiencing) the play. You are right there (up close and personal) and in some ways almost part of the play. A funny thing happened after the show, that I'd like to share.. I was standing in the parking lot in the back of the building and then the actors came out. Yep, they were right there..They looked like reqular people..lol... One minute they are characters in a powerful play and the next minute, they are hanging out in the parking lot chit-chatting! They seemed bigger than life on stage, and mere mortals afterwards...WOW!

I could feel the passion, and energy of the actors. And though I'm not versed in Shakespeare, I was able to follow what was going on ..

If you've always wanted to check a play out, check out IUP's offerings. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Now back to the Acoustic Hour show, Dave Scerene helped with the interview. He's a great guitar player and loves the theatre as well. I got the chance to talk with Micheal and really get to know the (behind the scenes) stuff that goes into producing and/or directing plays. I found his information to be interesting. For example in some cases it can take a couple of years before the audience sees a curtian call. (Talk about Planning) But the bottomline is, theres's a story to tell that is generally almost always applicable to what's happening currently.
But I didn't ask him the most asked question regarding Theatre; and that is, "How do they remember all thouse lines?" Don't give me that training and concentration stuff! There has to be more to it than that? My thought is that they(actors) have a special memory chip implanted in their heads which allows them to remember bunches and bunches of lines. I guess, I'll never really ever know the true answer. Oh well!

If you listened to the show last Sunday, and would like to make a comment, feel free to do so..

Keep up the great work Mr. Hood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home